"He who writes, reads twice"

"He who writes, reads twice"

Monday, June 27, 2011

Freudian slips, foot-in-mouth and other such things!

This weekend I learnt that keeping my thoughts to myself can be a bitter-sweet, good/bad thing. 

(I 'slipped' up atleast 3 times this week in a big way!)  And the thing is, I don't really want to apologize for saying what I wanted to say but the truth is:

        People don't always want to hear your opinion or atleast they don't when it contradicts with theirs. 

Most times I adhere to that one simple rule but other times, it just slips out and then I am asked to explain myself.  But somewhere in between the explaining I am reading the person's face and body language and pick up on the little ques that tell me....'hmmm, I don't think they agree with me here'.  Usually, I'd stop there and let them take the spotlight again but other times I can't resist the urge to be the devil's advocate and I persist.  It's the persisting that gets me in trouble! 

I've been told that if I know someone is a certain way then I should be wary of that and 'watch' what I say around them especially when I've known them for years and know that they'll react the way they do.  But honestly, if I am expected to know what my friends and family are like and expected to step on eggshells for them ....aren't they too, expected to know who I am and appreciate the fact that I can and do have an opinion too ....one that can be contradictory to theirs?

Honestly, I just wish people can learn to appreciate that people have the right to say what they mean!  It's the reason I gravitate towards opinionated people (not the annoying ones clearly)...you always know where you stand with them! 

On this note, I'd leave you with this definition of a Freudian Slip & ask you this: "wouldn't you rather know what a person really thinks rather than their pussy-footed version of the truth?"

Freudian slip
–noun
(in Freudian psychology) an inadvertent mistake in speech or writing that is thought to reveal a person's unconscious motives, wishes, or attitudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment