"He who writes, reads twice"

"He who writes, reads twice"

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Rediscovering myself (again)

So I requested a sewing machine this Christmas...and everyone who I told that to would ask me "you can sew?"  Of course, my answer was always "no" to which I would receive a puzzle look.  I've always wanted to learn to sew (sewn things by hand before) and I know that I have the capacity to learn ....so I figured what the heck...never too late to learn.

My first attempt was a U shaped pillow for my daughter ...this was a pretty easy task as I'd already done small pillows by hand before, my second was a 2 piece swimsuit....talk about overreaching....haha.  I looked up some patterns, then borrowed some actual swimsuits to use as a basis....I figured...how hard could it be?   Well...a lot harder and more time-consuming than I imagined.  But in the end, I finished it.  I can't say it's entirely use-able...but atleast it ended up looking like a swimsuit ;-)

Last night...I decided to make a doll's dress for my daughter's 12" Dora. I looked up some patterns....got a really good one from a blog called 'Meggiecat'...thank you btw! And after an hour (or two).....Voila!.......


I thought of sharing this with you for two reasons....one it's making me proud of myself....to see that I can attempt these things with no real experience and produce something decent.  I know there are countless websites & blogs for arts & craft and I am true beginner in the scheme of things....but I'm allowing myself to discover new things about myself.  I always knew I had some creativity in me(I've had friends tell me this on more than one occassion) and I've already created things like decorative jars, pinatas and other stuff but each time I attempt a new craft I surprise myself.  But the greatest joy I've ever experienced is seeing the proud, happy look that emanates from my daughter's adoring eyes! 




1 comment:

  1. You go girl!

    Make me a one piece please when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete